In addition, the realignment will reduce redundancies and position ourselves to improve our ability to identify emerging compliance issues. This change will be seamless for taxpayers and tax professionals. The goal of the realignment is to primarily focus SB/SE on post-filing compliance and W&I on pre-refund compliance.
Currently, IRS examination and collection activities for individuals and small businesses overlap between W&I and SB/SE. The concept being reviewed would realign compliance-related operations to avoid organizational duplications, find operational efficiencies and help more quickly identify emerging compliance risks.
For taxpayers and tax professionals, the goal is improved customer service and easier contact for handling their issues. In an effort to get the best plan possible, the IRS also has engaged its front-line employees and managers to help refine the plan.
Here, in general, is the concept:
- Pre-filing compliance programs would move to W&I.
- Post-filing compliance programs would move to SB/SE.
- Two new functions would be created in SB/SE, one focused on collection work and one on examination work.
- W&I and SB/SE identity theft victims’ assistance work would centralize under W&I.
- SB/SE and W&I compliance headquarters and support staff generally would align to consolidated support functions.
Have an Tax Problem?
Contact the Tax Lawyers at
Marini & Associates, P.A.
for a FREE Tax Consultation Contact US at
or Toll Free at 888-8TaxAid (888 882-9243).