The Internal Revenue Service issued instructions July 21 for U.S. withholding agents who must request a series of Forms W-8 under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
The instructions have been deemed critical for agents trying to comply with FATCA, which requires foreign financial institutions to disclose U.S.-owned accounts to the IRS or possibly face a 30 percent withholding tax on their U.S.-source income. U.S. withholding agents must determine whether, when and how much to withhold.
The form, Instructions for the Requester of Forms W-8BEN, W-8BEN-E, W-8ECI, W-8EXP, and W-8IMY, is viewed as an essential part of that work.
These instructions supplement the instructions for the following forms and provide, for each form, notes to assist withholding agents and FFIs in validating the forms for chapter 3 and 4 purposes in addition to outlining the due diligence requirements applicable to withholding agents for establishing a beneficial owner’s foreign status and claim for reduced withholding under an income tax treaty.
These notes for chapters 3 and 4 are not inclusive of all requirements that may apply to a withholding agent for validating Forms W-8. A withholding agent should also reference the instructions for each Form W-8 and applicable regulations under chapter 3 and chapter 4 describing the requirements for withholding certificates.
- Form W-8BEN, Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Individuals).
- Form W-BEN-E, Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Entities).
- Form W-8ECI, Certificate of Foreign Person's Claim That Income Is Effectively Connected With the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States.
- Form W-8EXP, Certificate of Foreign Government or Other Foreign Organization for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting.
- Form W-8IMY, Certificate of Foreign Intermediary, Foreign Flow-Through Entity, or Certain U.S. Branches for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting.
For general information and the purpose of each of the forms described in these instructions, see those forms and their accompanying instructions. For definitions of terms used and not defined in these instructions, see the Forms W-8 and their accompanying instructions for definitions that also apply for purposes of these instructions.
Have A Tax Problem?
Contact the Tax Lawyers at
Marini & Associates, P.A.
for a FREE Tax Consultation Contact US at
or Toll Free at 888-8TaxAid ((888) 882-9243)
Post a Comment