Monday, July 30, 2018

The IRS is Issuing Notice CP508 C – Notice of Certification of your Seriously Delinquent Federal Tax Debt to the State Department to Taxpayers!

On July 17, 2018 we posted, Don't Be 1 of the 362,000 Americans Waiting To Have Their Passports Revoked Because They Owe Back Taxes! where we discussed that the IRS issued Notice 2018-1 on January 16, 2018, which provides guidance for implementation of the new IRC 7345 and also discussed that the IRS webpage on Revocation or Denial of Passport in Case of Certain Unpaid Taxes contains the following alert:
and that the  IRS as indicated that at least 362,000 Americans have “seriously delinquent” overdue tax payments and will be denied passports or passport renewals if they do not pay the money they owe, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Well the IRS has made good on this Admonition!
We have been notified by no less than 3 clients this week that they have received Notice CP508 C –  Notice of Certification of your Seriously Delinquent Federal Tax Debt to the State Department.
We've also been contacted by one taxpayer, who contacted us in 2009 to resolve his tax issues, and we noted that we never were engaged, nor did the taxpayer ever address his tax problems until now; so it appears that this passport revoking penalty Has Teeth!
Passport Status
If your U.S. passport application is denied or your U.S. passport is revoked, the State Department will notify you in writing.  If you need your U.S. passport to keep your job, once your seriously delinquent tax debt is certified, you must fully pay the balance, or make an alternative payment arrangement to have your certification reversed. 
Once You’ve Resolved Your Tax Problem With The IRS,
The IRS Will Reverse The Certification Within 30 Days Of Resolution Of The Issue And Provide Notification To The State Department As Soon As Practicable. 



If you’re leaving in a few days for international travel, need to resolve passport issues and have a pending application for a U.S. passport, you should call 888 8TaxAid immediately! If you already have a U.S. passport, you can use your passport until you’re notified by the State Department that it has been revoked. 
If your Passport is Cancelled or Revoked, after you’re certified, you Must Resolve the Tax Debt by Paying the Debt in Full, making Alternative Payment Arrangements or Showing that the Certification is Erroneous.
The IRS will reverse your certification within 30 days of the date the tax debt is resolved and provide notification to the State Department as soon as practicable.
Those who discover they have not been in compliance with their US tax obligations, including filing of income tax returns or FBAR reports, may avail themselves of the IRS Streamlined Offshore Procedure, which does not include the draconian FBAR penalty for Non-US Domiciliary's.
If You Face This Problem, You Should Consult with Experienced Tax Attorneys, As There Are Several Ways Taxpayers Can Avoid Having the IRS Request That the State Department Revoke Your Passport.
 Want To Keep Your US Passport?
Contact the Tax Lawyers at 
Marini & Associates, P.A.

for a FREE Tax Consultation Contact us at:
Toll Free at 888-8TaxAid (888)882-9243.

No comments:

Post a Comment